Great Foods to add in for Spring Eating
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2017
Now that we are seeing the end of last years, stored potatoes, we have shifted into a new season and welcome new additions to our diet! Spring brings longer days, warmer temperatures, new shoots, blossoms, pollen’s and gives us a cue to start shifting our diets from our heavy winter food to lighter, greener foods. Here are some ideas and recipes…
It is also the best time of the year for Cleansing! The Liver in particular!
Our liver is responsible for processing virtually everything we eat, drink, breath, apply to our skin etc. It is responsible for everything from regulating hormones, producing, storing and exporting fat and glucose for energy, clotting blood, neutralizing and destroying toxins. Just to name a few!
Keeping our liver healthy should be an ongoing process with good clean food and habits. Here are some suggestions of amazing foods that we make sure to add to our diet when spring comes!
- Eat more greens!
Greens are the ultimate detoxifier. Chlorophyll cleanses, deodorizes (best thing for bad breath!) , alkaline minerals nourish and balance the body and the insoluble fiber acts like little sponges cleaning up inside the bowels. The bitter greens are the best for the Liver. (Those dandelions popping up in spring, eat them!)
- High water content Foods and water!
Flush, Flush, Flush. Spring is a great time for juicing!
- Foods that help detoxify, and nourish at the same time!
These are easy to incorporate and so delicious! If you are looking to upgrade the nutritional content of anything from your smoothies, to oatmeal, milkshakes, juices, elixirs, yogurt, etc. here are some that we use daily right now!
– Pine Pollen, Sacred Lotus Pollen, Green Tea Pollen or Bee Pollen
– Goji berry powder
– Seabuckthorn powder or juice (cell repair)
– Beet root powder (beets in general)
– 5 mushroom Liver Life Blend
– Good greens powder, Vitamineral Green, Pranin A-Z, or Green Protein
- Supplements or herbs
To protect or detoxify Liver
– Cleanse blend Tea (Harmonic Arts)
– Liver Tonic tincture (Harmonic Arts)
– Schizandra Berry and Goji tincture (Dragon Herbs)
– Liver Support (Botanica phytocaps
My go-to, fast and delicious snack that I can’t get enough of right now:
Berries and Cream with Superpowders
In a bowl add:
- 1 – 4oz fresh blueberries
- 1 T Hemp Seeds
- 1/2 T Ground Flax seeds (freshly ground, other wise they go rancid fast!)
- 1/2 tsp. Goji berry powder
- 1/2 tsp Beet root powder
- 1/2 tsp Green Tea pollen (loaded with B vitamins and so much more)
- 1/2 tsp Seabuckthorn powder
- sprinkle of ground vanilla (optional)
Pour 1/2 c. home made almond milk, brazil nut milk, heavy cream, etc.
This is what we have been starting our day with, usually after my morning workout:
Loaded Spring Smoothie
serves 4 x (500ml each), cut in half or quarter for just one person
In a high speed blender add:
- 2 cups of water (or sometimes I use our cold pressed juice)
- 1 scoop Sunwarrior Illuminate Vanilla Bean (I LOVE this new one!)
- 2 T hemp seeds
- 1 T flax seeds (my blender grinds them)
- 2 T Sprouted Almond butter
- 1 tsp of EACH – Goji Berry Powder, Beet Root Powder, Seabuckthorn
- 1 tsp Green Tea Pollen (or pine, or Lotus, or Bee Pollen)
- 3 T Greens Powder – Vitamineral Green, Green Protein Healthforce, Tonic Alchemy or Pranin A-Z (personally I use a heaping T. of a couple kinds but use what you have)
- 2 T. Liver Life or 5 Mushroom Blend
- 1 tsp 5 seed oil Andreas (any good fat to deliver those fat soluble vitamins)
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup blueberries (these can be frozen)
Blend till smooth, then add another 3-4 cups of Spring water to top it up.
Optional: Add what YOU are needing! Examples in our family:
- Ethan – Cordyceps for energy and increased lung capacity for track season
- Kade – Colostrum and more probiotics for gut health
- Nyah – Lions Mane and ginko for nerve repair and circulation after a concussion.
I know it seems like a lot of stuff! Just use what you have and like. Once you get set up you are able to use them in many different ways.
Mention this blog recipe when you buy any of these products and get 10% off until Friday May 19th.